Friday 23 May 2008

littlechook goes fairtrade and organic


Currently I use non organic tea towels and I am finding the quality a bit hit and miss and I keep reading in papers such as The Guardian about the damage cotton growing does through the excessive use of pesticides and it worries me.
As a designer I expect to be able to charge a fair price for handmade handprinted items so why shouldn't the whole supply chain expect the same?. So today I decided to use only organic fabrics but also to ensure they are fairtrade so that the makers get a fair wage.


Google came up trumps and took me to http://www.organiccotton.biz/


I ordered samples and the very nice Phil replied to my email straightaway saying organic fairtrade cotton tea towels were available. Yay!


They are a family firm based in Powys and their site has some fantastic pictures of the cotton being grown and made into fabrics by the local people.


I have ordered sample fabrics in a range of colours and weights. The range is brilliant with calicos, denims etc and many are handwoven. I got nostaligic for my weaving days thinking about handlooms. I miss my weavebird!

1 comment:

Denise Kiggan said...

How satisfying to source a good product and get good service too!
Thanks for link to Pedlars! I have enjoyed browsing their websight and perhaps I can get there when we are in London!