Tuesday 13 May 2008

littlechook at home



I've been in the studio all day today working on layouts for new screens. I am going to the East London Print Studio on Thursday to use their equipment to expose the screens so I need to have four designs ready.


Also worked on more t shirt designs last night and washed them today. The flock is even more fluffy once washed and looks great. The colours are really bright.
Having bought Living etc, Elle Decoration and Real Homes recently I have been thinking about our house and how we should decorate it. My plan was to paint everything white for starters but I am actually really liking the wallpaper even though it is quite old fashioned and 'country cottagey' which isn't me at all usually. I think the living room paper is Laura Ashley.
The carpets are all a bit old and scabby but instead of replacing them I am thinking a good steam clean would help them look nicer.
The fact that we have no money after our move is also curbing my design enthusiasm!
The house though does have some beautiful orignal victorian features like cornicing and ceiling roses. Alot of the 'ladder' houses got the 70's treatment but ours didn't thankfully! The Harringay ladder houses are row of victorian houses on a set of roads all running parallel (hence the name 'ladder') and they all have unusual names. I'd love to know more about why these names were chosen but google hasn't yielded any results.
The community noticeboard though does refer to a 'seafaring theme'. Would like to know more about this!

1 comment:

hjuk said...

You can find a discussion on the ladder road names on harringayonline.com.

The cluster of roads right at the south end are all named after DIsraeli novels/characters. A couple of roads north of those are named after local notables. But from Umfreville on up, there's no real answer.

There's been a theory around for many years that they're named after Elizabethan military figures. But it can't be made to work. The conclusion seems to be that no one, local historians included, has yet found any convincing answer.