Monday 26 May 2008

The Geffrye Museum




To round of our bank holiday weekend we visited the Geffrye Museum near old street this afternoon.


It's collection comprises textiles, furniture, paintings and interior objects from 1600 to the present day. I particularily liked the 50's interiors and the Jessie Tait ceramics.


The victorian rooms were fantastic too as it was interesting to see a house similar to my own home and how it would have been laid out and used in the era it was built in. We did laugh at the description of the women of the house spending afternoons sewing, playing cards and receiving callers. Would beat working for a living we thought.


I bought a really fab book too on 50's design which I will try and feature some pics from this week. The museum has a great shop and a nice cafe too. And no one minded a small child pushing a pink pram at great speed round the museum either luckily for us!


I also got to sit in a Balzac chair by Matthew Hilton for SCP and it made me want one even more. Can't remember whether it is in Elle Dec or Living etc but one of the homes featured has a Balzac chair and the owner says she saved for 10 years for a Balzac. I can see her point but I am hoping for a lottery win sometime soon!


We rounded the day off with a fantastic vietnamese meal near old street tube too. Lovely!

No comments: