Saturday 18 April 2009

Gorillas in the mist


Took the little lady to london zoo as an easter treat and it rained all day! Some of the animal didn't seem to mind including the meerkats who had a tiny baby with them.


The Gorillas though contune to depress me everytime I see them. Despite the 'no flash photography' and 'don't bang the glass' signs people - adults and children just rush up to the glass, bang on it, shout and take photos with a bright flash!


I find it very sad. The male gorilla died before christmas and I think the females are really missing him. Or am I just projecting human values onto them? I don't know.


I'm not sure these beautiful creatures are really suitable for a zoo to be gawped at. It's no wonder they don't breed.


There's a series of gorilla portraits on one of the walls in the visitor bit and they all look so different. Most were rescued as babies and have suffered trauma after their parents were killed for bushmeat or for their hands.


I sadly think that by the time the little lady has grown up there will only be gorillas and many other animals left in zoo and not in the wild where they belong.


It's very sad.

No comments: